Sunday, May 8, 2011

Veal Renh

Arrived 2/5/2011

This is Ny
On my way down to Sihanoukville I stopped in at this town for a lunch break (being about halfway and getting dam hungry) and met a Cambodian fella who spoke pretty good English.  He worked just down the road and his parents ran the food stall I was at. 

This is me.  Bokor Mountains in the background
So to make for an easy trip from Sihanoukville to Kampot (back the way I had come previously) thought I’d make a stopover at Veal Renh and see my new mate Ny (pronounced Knee) again.  He gave a wee tour around the local area and taught me some more Khmer that my language book didn’t have – although the lonely planet book rates itself as an essential guide to get you around it doesn’t teach you much about food! Ny taught me how to get my hands on a meat filled baguette...finally I had seen so many and never been able to communicate what I wanted! The closest I had previously got was a stale plain baguette.


Had a few drinks and a bit of karaoke (English and Cambodian) to finish off the day.  Old school pop songs (Britney Spears, Atomic Kitten…) which the videos were of some 1980’s tourist information show for Europe – quite random.  I felt like a dick singing along but they didn’t care and no one else could hear me!


Some of the rice fields around Veal Renh
mmmm Baguette
Leaving Veal Renh

1 comment:

  1. Great update. We craved NZ pies when we were in the UK back in '76! We came home and, on our way by train to Invercargill from Dunedin (you did that in those days) we had one at Clinton - "the" refreshment stop en route renowned for its pies (so Doug told me anyway). Think pies have upmarketed since then! The KFC bun-less Chicken Burger (bacon and cheese between 2 pieces of fried chicken)arrives tomorrow - causing a stir for its excessive fat and lack of imagination - maybe you fancy that?

    ReplyDelete